Please note: We will resume regular study guides mid-January when groups resume.
The Art of Neighboring
While this study is four weeks long, you can shorten it as needed to fit the number of weeks your group has available.
The Art of Receiving and Not Missing the Moments
- Read 1 Kings 17:7-16. Why didn’t God just provide for Elijah directly? How do you think it felt to ask the widow for help? How do you think the widow felt?
- What are your neighbors knowledgeable and/or passionate about? How could you enter into their world and allow them to serve you?
- Are you good at allowing other people to care for you? What makes it hard? How often do you ask for help from someone outside your immediate family?
- Read I Peter 3:8-16. Does knowing that God is in control free you to bless and engage with others in your community?
- Annie shared that she remembers meeting her neighbor but didn’t even remember his name. Her only thoughts about him were that she could smell his marijuana through the walls. Share a time you made an assumption that might have kept you from engaging with someone.
- Annie expressed regret that she had ignored her neighbor and that his overdose was a wake-up call to her. Have you ever experienced a time where you realized you had missed a moment to engage with a neighbor or co-worker?
- Is there an invisible neighbor in your neighborhood? A house you know has people living there, but you never see them? Are there people in your neighborhood you ignore or stay away from?
- Share a time you made an assumption and then later found out the situation was very different than what you had assumed.
- Write down the name of the invisible person in your neighborhood or someone that is difficult to love. This week pray and ask God to soften your heart towards them.
WRAP UP & PRAYER
- Spend time praying for your neighbors and asking God to direct your path and overcome any fears you are feeling.
Thank you Jesus for inviting me to participate in your work. GIve me a heart to love my neighbors in a way that honors you.