Balancing Life’s Demands
Are you feeling busy, burned out, and stretched to the limit? Does life seem a little out of balance? Come learn how to put first things first and find peace in the midst of chaos.
Restoring Rushed Ragged Relationships
weekend in review
How to restore relationships that have been damaged by the fast pace of life.
Begin with some conversation, checking in on how people are doing. You can talk about whatever you’d like, but here are a few potential questions to get the conversation going.
- Share a favorite family memory.
- Do you have a funny elementary-school science-project memory?
Select 3-4 questions from the list below to guide your discussion time.
- How would you describe the general health of your family relationships when you were growing up? How about your family now?
- What are the most meaningful relationships in your life currently? Do you have relationships that are like family to you?
- Read Ephesians 4:31-32. Gene observed that families are fragile and deserve to be handled with tender loving care. What would the ideal family experience look like to you in how you relate to each other? In your effect on each other? Why?
- Read Matthew 3:17. Forgiveness is essential to any relationship. What do you need to be forgiven for in your relationships? What can get in the way of our offering grace to each other?
- A is for Affection. God is our heavenly father who loves us and tells us so regularly in scripture. What Bible verses remind you of God’s great love for you?
- Read Joshua 24:15. Immanuel means “God with us.” As you go through your day, what do you do to remind yourself of his presence?
- Is enjoying laughter together a regular part of your family relationship? If so, share what you do to incorporate this.
- Read Deuteronomy 6:6-7. Gene pointed out the prominence of the word “you” here, emphasizing that YOU’ve got to be present, engaged, and involved. What does that ideally look like to you? What is one specific practical thing you do now or plan to do to engage with your family more?
- Gene walked us through six practices to help restore ragged relationships and families: Forgiveness, Affection, Memories, Immanuel, Laughter, and You. Which stood out to you most as something(s) you’d like to incorporate more of in your family or in any relationship that’s meaningful to you? Write down action(s) you will take to restore your rushed, ragged relationships. If you need ideas, brainstorm with your group.
WRAP UP & PRAYER
Share prayer requests and spend time praying for each other.
Thank God for families and relationships that are like family to us. Help us to treasure each other. Bring healing restoration, forgiveness, and restoration wherever it is possible. For those who are in circumstances beyond their control, fill them with a sense of your presence and your peace and your power, that they may live every day with the recognition that they have a God who is WITH THEM. Thank you for our Eastside family.