At the Movies
Bring a friend, grab some popcorn, find a seat… you’re at the movies! Each week we’ll learn how God uses characters and storylines from the big screen to inspire positive change. Journey with us through some of Hollywood’s most impactful films, and experience God’s purpose for you in a fun and fresh way. Our At the Movies series is only viewable on an Eastside campus. For times and directions, please choose a location near you.
weekend in review
This week we are looking at the movie Encanto. When everything looks perfect on the outside there’s often a different story happening just below the surface.
Begin with some conversation, checking in on how people are doing. You can talk about whatever you’d like, but here are a few potential questions to get the conversation going.
- When you were a child, what cartoons did you watch on tv or video? Any favorite characters?
Select 5-6 questions from the list below to guide your discussion time.
- Mirabel felt left out that she didn’t fit in, that she wasn’t truly seen for who she was and what she brought to the family. We all want to belong. What do you do when you feel unseen, left out, or unappreciated?
- Read Psalm 32:1-3. King David wrote that the silence was killing him. It was only when he confessed and brought his problems to light that he found healing. Why is suffering in silence destructive?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:4-27. All of us have been given gifts, and each gift is just as important as the others. Have everyone go around and share what gifts or talents that they see in every person. Take time to affirm what you see in each other and to remind them that many of us don’t know some of our gifts and talents until we grow.
- Seeing Luisa’s incredible strength, most people might think she’s always fine. But under the surface she felt overwhelmed by the pressure of needing to be strong for her whole family all the time. It was more than not wanting to let anyone down; she felt her worth as a person was defined solely by what she accomplished. Have you ever felt like Luisa?
- Read Romans 3:20, 22. It’s easy to be convinced that the most important thing about me is what I do. The reality is that the most important thing about me is what Jesus did for me. Why do we struggle with evaluating our own worth? How about evaluating the worth of others?
- Bruno’s gift empowered him to tell people things about their future that they sometimes didn’t want to hear. Because people didn’t want to hear bad things, they left him feeling misunderstood and unwanted. When have you felt misunderstood?
- Read Ephesians 4:2. Abuela had also lost so much when she lost her husband and her home. Because of this she tried so hard to be strong for her family and to protect them. Does seeing her story help you understand Abuela more?
- What character or moment in the movie do you relate to the most, and why?
If anyone in your group would like to be baptized, you can find out more by going online to eastside.com/baptism. Offer to support them in their decision by looking into it now while you are all together.
God loves us “3,000”, he paid the ultimate sacrifice so that we might have victory through Him. If you are facing insurmountable odds right now, will you give that over to God today and trust in Him with that?
WRAP UP & PRAYER
Share prayer requests and spend time praying for each other.