Some Things Never Change Week 4: God Still Reigns
It feels like everything is changing all the time. Seasons change, people change, and society changes. It can be hard to keep up. It can also be unsettling. However, The Bible tells us that while everything changes around us, God remains the same. No matter how uncertain our lives look, we can count on God to remain the same yesterday, today, and forever! Join us for our new series, “Some Things Never Change,” and discover the consistency of God
God Still Reigns
WEEKEND IN REVIEW
Jodi Hickerson, (Mike Breaux’s daughter) our guest speaker this weekend, encouraged us with a powerful message that reminded and reassured us that God is still on the throne today, just as He was when the Psalmist wrote, “God reigns over the nations, God sits on His holy throne.” (Psalm 47:8) He is above all, over all, and “in Him all things hold together!” (Colossians 1:17) He is the alpha and omega, the beginning and end. He is King from everlasting to everlasting.
Begin with some conversation, checking in on how people are doing. You can talk about whatever you’d like, but here are a few potential questions to get the conversation going.
- Creation is one of the things that has established God’s rule and reign over everything in our universe! Answer the following questions to reveal your appreciation for the universe that God created.
- What is your favorite season of the year?
- What do you consider one of the most beautiful things God created?
- What do you consider one of the most amazing things in God’s creation? (Perhaps for its complexity, size, intricacy, or oddness)
- If cost and time were no obstacles, what would you most like to travel and see in person in God’s amazing creation?
- Psalm 139:14 says, “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” God says you were “wonderfully made.” What are you thankful for in the way God created you (i.e. what do you like about the way God created you)?
- Read Psalm 145:13. How long will God be in charge of the universe and how long has he been, and how long will He be on His throne?
- Our sun is one of 100 billion stars in our Milky Way galaxy, which is about 100,000 light-years across. How did God create all these stars? Read Genesis 1:14-15 and Psalm 33:6-9.
- What attributes of God are revealed by His creation, and how is God’s glory declared through His creation? Read Romans 1:20, Psalm 19:1.
- What does God NOT do as He runs the universe? See Isaiah 40:28.
- What was Jesus’ role in the creation of the universe and in sustaining the universe? Colossians1:15-17.
- When you are frustrated and feeling like things in your life are out of control, how can it help you to remember that God is still on His throne?
- When you are discouraged, disappointed, and feeling like your situation is hopeless, how can it help you to remember that God is still on His throne?
- When you watch the nightly news on TV, and you see the war in Ukraine is expanding, the Chinese are buying farmland near U.S military bases and sending spy balloons over our country, and thousands of children are being trafficked over an open border with Mexico, how can being reminded that God is still on the throne help you from losing heart or worrying about the future?
- Who reigns over the nations? See Psalm 47:8.
- How should the knowledge that God still reigns impact your prayer life?
wrap up | prayer
Share prayer requests and close your time together by praying for one another.