The world today can be a scary place, but it doesn’t have to be. All too often fear is what holds us back. So, what can we do about it? Join us as we learn how to lead FEARLESS lives of grace, faith, and generosity.
weekend in review
Using the story of Peter’s brief experience walking on the water toward Jesus, guest speaker Matt Merold teaches about taking courageous steps of faith, facing our fears, and focusing on Jesus. He asks each of us to consider where God is calling us to step up to make a positive difference in our lives and in the lives of those around us.
- If your life were a movie, what genre would it be?
- Share an experience when you had to step way out of your comfort zone to accomplish something you felt was important.
- Matt said, “I think we all want to make a difference.” What are your aspirations along these lines?
- The Bible is filled with stories of men and women who took courageous steps of faith. Name one of your favorites. Why that person?
- Read Matthew 14:22-29. Matt made the statement, “Courage isn’t the absence of fear; courage is overcoming fear with faith.” Share a time you were afraid or nervous about taking a risk, yet believing it was God’s will for you, took that step of faith anyway.
- Matt explained that facing your fears is required if you are going to do anything significant for God. He brought up two common ways we deal with our fears: pretending everything is fine and procrastinating. Which one do you find yourself more prone to?
- Had you been in the boat that day, would you have reacted like Peter, or like the rest of Jesus’ disciples who stayed in the boat?
- Read Matthew 14:29-33. What lesson did Peter and everyone in the boat learn about fear and trust and focus and Jesus that day? How did witnessing this help prepare them for the future God had in store for them?
- Have you experienced a similar kind of go-for-it walking-on-water abandon? Explain. What compelled you to act the way you did?
- Share an extraordinary experience when God “showed up” for you at just the right moment in a time of need.
- What situation in your life right now is requiring you to “step out of the boat” with an active choice of faith? (Feeling nervous about it? That’s a reminder to depend on God. See Philippians 4:6-7.)
- Read Matthew 14:27 and Matthew 28:20. God has already let us know in his Word that he is with us. How are you doing engaging with God regularly? What spiritual practices might you apply that will set you up to hear him and to be more aware of his presence with you throughout the day?
WRAP UP & PRAYER
Share prayer requests and spend time praying for each other
Pray that God would remind you and your group this week of his unchanging character and that you would choose faith and trust rather than fear. Ask for clarity and courage to take the steps that God calls you to take.