The world today can be a scary place, but it doesn’t have to be. All too often fear is what holds us back. So, what can we do about it? Join us as we learn how to lead FEARLESS lives of grace, faith, and generosity.
weekend in review
Guest speaker Jake Barker wraps up our Fearless series with a message today on how true Christ-centered humility will lead to a fearless life.
- Do you make a summer bucket list? What is one thing you are looking forward to this summer?
- Share your most recent selfie with the group.
- In the last seven days, which human being have you thought about most?
- How does choosing an “It’s all about me” attitude affect our lives?
- Read 1 Corinthians 3:1-23. Who are the various people who have “planted” and “watered” your spiritual growth?
- Jake defined pride as an over-inflated ego. Each of us has struggled with pride in some area of our lives. Share a time you let pride damage a situation or relationship.
- Jake described pride by using the illustration of a balloon inflating and deflating according to one’s feelings of superiority or inferiority. This happens when we fill our lives and self esteem with things that are empty, temporary, and fragile. Whether the balloon is low on “air” or full, why is it all about pride?
- When we set our hearts and minds on things that don’t really matter, it can leave us feeling flat and unfulfilled. Have you experienced this in your life? Contrast that with an experience that left you feeling deeply fulfilled. What was the difference?
- Read 1 Corinthians 4:1-7. What is important about Paul’s attitude in 4:3-7? How much of what you do is based on what others will think of you?
- Read Romans 8:1-2. How does the truth in these verses — that in Christ we have no condemnation — impact your life?
- Self-forgetfulness — thinking of ourselves less — is the key to battling pride and enjoying the better life God offers us. Jake said, “Imagine a life where you aren’t constantly occupied with your social status, professional acceleration, or family reputation … where you enjoy a conversation even though you aren’t at the center of it … where you celebrate someone else’s accomplishments … where you have nothing left to prove.” God so loved us that he sent his Son to give us new life with new purposes. Now we’re no longer trying to keep our fragile egos filled with fragile things. How would your life be different if you thought of yourself less?
- Read Romans 8:1-4. How would you explain the gospel to someone who feels they are not “good enough” for God?
WRAP UP & PRAYER
Share prayer requests and spend time praying for each other.
Thank God that we no longer have to be consumed with the next thing, the next step, accomplishment, or platform. Ask for the courage to live a life where we see others as more important than ourselves. Thank God for the security you have because the Creator of the Universe knows your name and invites you into the deepest of relationships with him.