At The Movies
Bring a friend, grab some popcorn, find a seat… you’re at the movies! Each week we’ll learn how God uses characters and storylines from the big screen to inspire positive change. Journey with us through some of Hollywood’s most impactful films and experience God’s purpose for you in a fun and fresh way.
*Our At the Movies series is only viewable on an Eastside campus.
Back To The Future
weekend in review
This week we are looking at the movie Back to the Future. We will look at how the choices and decisions we make today can affect our tomorrows.
Begin with some conversation, checking in on how people are doing. You can talk about whatever you’d like, but here are a few potential questions to get the conversation going.
- If you were given a time-traveling DeLorean, what would you go back and change?
- Share where you want to be in 5 years. 10 years? 20 years? In your opinion, does it look like things will be better or worse in the future? In what ways? Why?
Select 5-6 questions from the list below to guide your discussion time.
- Read Galatians 6:7-8. The word translated “destruction” describes an erosion over time. Was there a time in your life when you were planting the wrong seeds that were slowly eroding your life? How did you turn things around?
- Regarding the concept of sowing (planting) and reaping, when were you first aware that your choices would have a direct impact on your future? Give one example of sowing and reaping in your own life.
- Gene pointed out that the spiritual parallel in the plot of this movie is that Marty was trying to fix his mistakes, his past, in order to avoid the final consequences. Marty left a message for Doc to save him; God has left a message for us to save us. Gene then reassured us that the gift of God is much bigger than our past mistakes, bad decisions, and sins. What was going on in your life when you chose Jesus?
- Read Romans 6:23. Gene said, “Forgiveness is not something you achieve; it’s a gift to be received.” Share when you first accepted that gift and put your trust in God.
- Describe a time in your life or something you’ve done this past year (good or bad, big, or small) that has affected who you are today.
- Gene explained that once you experience the gift of grace in Christ Jesus, you can start sowing good seeds and eventually reap a harvest of good things. What are some good seeds you can plant in your life right now?
- Are you in a situation that has you thinking, “I don’t know how this can turn out for good”? What is one thing you could do to plant some goodness there?
- What decisions do you need to make to achieve the progress (habitual, relational, spiritual) you desire this coming year?
- What is the biggest decision you need to make right now to live out the future God may have for you? share How as a group can we pray for you or partner with you to help?
- Identify one decision that this week you can ask God for strength to trust him with your future:
WRAP UP & PRAYER
Share prayer requests and spend time praying for each other.
Spend time praying for each other and invite God to guide you and empower you to trust him with your future and to take responsibility for what is yours to do.